Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Alumni Game

Last weekend we went to Purdue's Inaugural Alumni game. It was very cool to see the players come back and play a pick up game. I take that back. It wasn't cool at all.  It was hotter than two hamsters farting in a wool sock (inspiration for that saying is here, not very proud that I stumbled upon it). Mackey Arena has no air conditioning so we sweated for a few hours while watching the alumni game and then the current players scrimmage.

We went to Jake's for lunch before the game. Of course Jake's didn't know it was the alumni game.  They had one waiter working the upper level and 2 cooks for the whole restaurant.  We were there early so we got our order in early but we felt bad for everyone else that got there after us. It got packed really quickly.

Not only was it the alumni game but it was also graduation day for Summer Session.  You would think they would have prepared for that.  But not so much.

I got a new app and I tried it out.  It's called 360 Panorama. I haven't quite gotten the hang of it yet but this is one of my first attempts.  Hopefully I'll get a little better.

 They had the current players sitting out at tables around Mackey for people to stand in line and get autographs and pictures.  We didn't stand in line but we did creep on the players a bit while walking by. :)

I can't tell who the first guy at this table is (I think he's a walk on) but the next 3 are T. Johnson, Hale, and Simpson.

Let the creeping commence! I'm posing with Terone! :)

Then it was game time!
 The alumni were practicing before the game.  I love Robbie's face in this shot.

This is also a good face from Cardinal.

 Tomahawk Jam from Kramer!
By the way, I googled Tomahawk jam because I wanted to make sure I was calling it the right thing (shut up) and I found this little gem that makes me so much more in love with the interwebs.
JAZZKETBALL!!

 Here's a full court shot of Mackey.

 Here's Mean Gene waving to the crowd. Purdue Basketball Family Reunion INDEED.

 This guy.  He was what they called the "Senior" Alumni player.  He played in the 60s I believe.  It was pretty awesome.  Every time he had the ball in his hands, the crowd was screaming SHOOT IT! He did not.  Things have changed a bit since he played. But he gave it a GREAT effort.  Plus with no air conditioning, I mean come on.  What a champ.

Here he is playing the actual game.  He's like "Yikes fellas! Don't hurt me!"

 I got to zoom in and creep on Jujuan.  Aww. Stalking is such sweet sorrow.

Creeped a bit on Robbie too.  Hey bro!

Hey look at that! The Boilers won! Nice!

 Alumni player family picture

Instead of googling what type of dunk this was, I asked Andrew.  He said, "Backward." So here's Anthony Johnson doing a backward dunk. :-)

 Two big johnsons on the floor (A favorite quote in my family is my super young younger brother saying, "Dad, just what exactly IS a big johnson??")

 Newly married Mean Gene is ready to party!

 Jeff Washburn from the J&C got a quick interview right before....

 Erin and I got our picture with Gene Keady!! Awesome!! We asked him for a picture and he agreed.  He said, "I'm like a thorn between two roses." (Did you think he used a line like that when he met his new wife?) Erin said to him, "And our last name is Thornburg!" He said, "Huh. Are you guys from Thorntown?"  Ah Gene.  You still got it! :-)

Andrew took this pic and it just cracks me up. What do you think he's saying?

Got his Herbie Hancock too!

Anyway, despite that horrendous heat, we had a great time.  Very cool to see all the old players again.

2 comments:

The Goldmans said...

Wait, Jakes has 2 levels?

The Thornburgs said...

I guess I should have said "sides" instead of levels. The street entrance side and the parking lot entrance side. With the always disgusting bathrooms in between!
:-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...