Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Tough Luck

So after Tommy was in the hospital, I stayed home with him on Tuesday.  It was a nice day outside so I decided to take Tommy out for some fresh air.  I walked out the back door and turned around to go back in because I wanted to get a different hat for Tommy.  I immediately realized I had locked myself out of the house (and I panicked).

Now the first thing most people say when I tell them this story is "Well we usually keep a copy of a key under the mat or something."  Well that's nice but it didn't help me at this date and time. But don't worry.  It is NOTED.

So I'm locked out on a fairly cold day IN MY PAJAMAS.  I haven't had a shower.  I didn't have my phone on me.  I walked from door to door carrying a bundled up baby trying to find a neighbor that was home.  At the third house, I finally found a nice couple that was home.  They let me in and let me use their phone.  I called Andrew.  He was in Bloomington.  I told him I would try calling my dad.  I called my dad and he was actually just on his way out the door to come down to Lafayette because my mom had made some food for us.

Tommy and I hung out at the neighbor's house for about an hour.  They have a 9 year old grandchild so they haven't had to have their house toddler-proofed for quite awhile.  Tommy definitely took advantage.  He was into EVERYTHING!  Right before my dad called, he had pushed over one of their potted plants and it broke, spilling dirt and water all over their wood floor.

Then my dad called.  He had easily gotten the lock open with a basic tool without causing any damage, thank goodness! MY FATHER, THE HERO! (Just like Gérard Depardieu except without all the crazy hi-jinks)
Phew, crisis solved.

THEN Thursday after we had taken Tommy to the allergist, I was minding my business on my way to work.  I was turning left off of a busy state road when all the sudden my car was flying across the road! I was rear-ended at an angle and my head hit the driver's side window.  I pull to a stop and get out and this young woman jumps out of her giant Dodge pickup truck and says, "My parents are going to kill me!"  I said, "Huh?"  She said, "Do you see that car over there in the ditch?"  It was about 30 feet away.  She said, "That's my car. I just slid off the road last night and I was coming to check on it."  Two wrecks in less than 12 hours! Are you kidding me? I actually felt sorry for the girl who just hit me at that point.  I called 911 and the officer that showed up was wonderfully nice and helpful.  My car was still drivable luckily so I was still able to drive the rest of the way to work. 

My poor, poor 'Nox.
 You wouldn't think that was $3500 worth of a damage but it is!

Check out my fly rental! Picture me rollin', eh??

So yeah, bad things usually come in threes.  I thought we'd be done! But then Tommy got sick this morning... Read on...  (Are we done yet? I think so.)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...