Friday, September 3, 2010

26 Weeks: The Honeymoon is almost over

 I think Brian might be getting tired of posing for pictures.  I think it was the gold pom-pom cape the took it over the line.  He looks so defeated.  But I really thought he was excited for the Purdue/ND game this weekend. 


The network of nerves in your baby's ears is better developed and more sensitive than before. He may now be able to hear both your voice and your partner's as you chat with each other. He's inhaling and exhaling small amounts of amniotic fluid, which is essential for the development of his lungs. These so-called breathing movements are also good practice for when he's born and takes that first gulp of air. And he's continuing to put on baby fat. He now weighs about a pound and two-thirds and measures 14 inches (an English hothouse cucumber) from head to heel. If you're having a boy, his testicles are beginning to descend into his scrotum — a trip that will take about two to three days.

I've just embarrassed my son for the first time by referring to his unit on my blog.  Whoops.

Here's a more candid look at pregnancy from a different website...

Alphamom.com

Your Baby:
  • Is almost two pounds. Celebrate this milestone with a two-pound box of chocolates. You know, in order to really get a good VISUAL.
  • Remember those early bubbly butterfly kicks? Yeah. Those have been replaced by something akin to a rabid mongoose flippin’ out inside a burlap sack.
  • If you DO occasionally feel smaller, rhythmic movements in your belly, it’s probably your baby hiccuping. Babies actually get hiccups from late in the first trimester on, but most women don’t pick on them the second trimester or later.
  • All five senses are fully developed. Whoa.
You:
  • Are in the last and final week of the second trimester! (At least according to the books I’ve chosen to listen to — some mark the beginning of the third trimester as week 27, while some make you wait until week 28. Look, we’re all big and lumpy and ridiculously cranky, let’s get this final trimester STARTED.)
  • Of course, the end of the second trimester also marks the end of the so-called “honeymoon” phase of pregnancy, as the final three months can get awfully uncomfortable. Back and joint pain, swollen ankles, restless nights and Braxton-Hicks contractions, ahoy!
  • You’ll gain about 1/2 inch in belly/fundal size EVERY WEEK from this point on, oh mah gah. I guess I should stop being so smug about those pre-pregnancy lowrise jeans I’ve been wearing (with just a little help from my trusty rubber band).
  • The books say we’ve gained about 16-22 pounds, so long as we’ve been following a “nutritious and sensible diet plan.” Bite me, books.
This is true.  I'm very sad that the honeymoon is almost over.  I'm starting to grunt with every movement.  I'm having trouble sleeping.  Oh and what's this little thing called heartburn?? Sweetness.  Lots of fun stuff ahead but this is definitely the best part of pregnancy, like, right now, so I better be enjoying it. 

Heartburn means lots of hair right? That's a GREAT thing.

And finally... your baby lesson of the day...

1 comment:

Shiela said...

OMG. Are you having heartburn? The heartburn took me completely by surprise. I had never had it before pregnancy. I could drink a glass of water and get heartburn. It's the only bad thing I remember after the early nausea. But I was pretty old, so I was used to grunting with every little movement!Ha!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...