Tuesday, August 24, 2010

I hope you have a big trunk... because I'm puttin' my bike in it.

I finally got my birthday present! Andrew got me a bike for my birthday this year.  But it's not just any bike... it's a vintage Schwinn! FUN!

It was his mom's bike originally.  He took it to the local Schwinn dealer and they were really excited about it.

It's a Traveler III in a really cool "Schwinn blue".  The bike shop wanted to deck it out with blue tires, rims, handlebars, etc.  Luckily they did not.  I think it looks fine as is. 


I found out online that I can look up the badge number to find out what year it is.  The badge number is 0789. I believe that means that it's from the 78th day (March 19th) of 1979 making it 31 years old! Wow! It is in excellent shape.  The shop owners said that they had 2 other Schwinn Traveler III frames come through their shop recently and each one was rusty.  They were amazed that this one was completely rust-free. Sweet!

It needed a little fixing up.  When we picked it up at the bike shop today, Andrew saw it and said, "WHOA! It looks completely different!" It has been in storage for a loooonnngggg time. 
But... he didn't get a "Before" picture! :(  Dang!


I gotta say that it is really fun to joy ride around on my new Steel Steed.  But X-tra Lite? Not so much.  Maybe for 1979?

I also got a new app for my iPhone called Hipstamatic. (Thanks Aunt Shiela!)  It makes your iPhone photos look retro.  Very fun little app once you figure out how to use it.  I took some experimental pictures...

Whoa! So retro! :)

This looks like a lot of the photos in my family's albums!

My favorite one.  It's hard to line up the lens through the app but I'm working on it.  More fun retro pictures to come, I'm sure!

I can't help but sing Kodachrome when I use this app.  But I always sing it as "I got an iPhone camera, I love to take a phoootograph. So Mama, don't taaaaake my Kooooodachrome awaaaaaay."

Sorry.  I should have given you a Nerd Alert before that one. :)

1 comment:

Shiela said...

Glad you liked that app. I was sad I didn't have an iphone to use it on! Waaaa. The pictures look great! Photojojo is the best!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...